Gems of Chinatown
- Guided walking tour of the Chinatown district
- Explore the historical streets and alleys of the area and understand more about the life of the early Chinese migrants.
- Visit major tourist attractions in the area including the Thian Hock Keng Temple, Sri Mariamman Temple and the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum
A culturally integrated walking tour, which focuses on the blended culture of mainland China and Singapore. Discover the unheard, unique stories of colorful Chinatown, dating back to the early 1820s. Explore the one-of-a-kind multiculturalism predominant in the area which boasts immense religious diversity with a Taoist temple, a Hindu temple, two mosques, a Buddhist temple and a Methodist church all walking distance from the other.
Your tour guide will keep you entertained with stories of the infamous land. Explore the district’s unique architecture. Remembered for its Opium Dens, Coolie Houses, Brothels and Death Houses that peppered the area in the past, Chinatown is now a colorful conserved cluster of shops.
Make sure you see the 320kg gold stupa housed at the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum, a special place built by the Tang Dynasty. Visit the other religious places in the area and be sure to check out the many shops. Chinatown is a mecca for shop-o-holics! You can find anything you want and be sure to polish up those bargaining skills. Be sure to interact with the locals and pick up your tidbits of the fascinating history of the area.
Know Before You Go
The tour begins at 9:30 AM. You are required to be at Telok Ayer MRT by 9:15 AM latest. The tour will end by 12:30 PM. Please note this tour occurs only on Wednesdays.
• Meeting Point: Telok Ayer MRT Station
• Children aged 12 and below will be allowed to join the tour for free if accompanied by an adult, parent, and guardian.
• Dress Code: The temple advisory requests visitors to observe modest dressing (e.g. no shorts, miniskirts, low necklines or exposed backs. Knee length skirts and shorts are permitted)
• Please wear comfortable shoes and carry a water bottle.
• Please arrive at the location 15 minutes before the start of the tour.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 48 hours in advance for a full refund.
You will receive your mobile voucher via email. No need to print!
Telok Ayer MRT, Singapore
Other experiences similar to Gems of Chinatown