Tiber Island & Underground of St. Nicholas in Prison Walking Tour -Express Entry
30 Second Takeaway
- Skip the lines and visit some of the Rome's lesser-explored places
- Tour the Tiber Island and hear some of its grand, dark stories
- You will get to see a number of bridges at the Island
- Descend to the depths of the Church of St. Nicholas where he was held captive
- A professional guide will accompany you at all times and prepare to be raptured by the stories you hear
- The tour will be conducted in four langauges: English, Spanish, Italian, and German
A rare treat for every tourist, walk through two of the most underrated places in Rome hassle-free as you skip the lines and embark upon the journey immediately!
Starting your tour off with Rome's only island, the Tiber Island is surrounded by legends ranging from mysterious to shocking that describe its origin
Once the seat of the Temple of Asclepius, and now a hospital, the Island is associated with healing and medicine despite dark tales of its beginnings. Linked to the city of Rome by two bridges, the island has earned the name “Insula Inter-Duos-Pontes”, or the “island between the two bridges”. One of them is Ponte Fabricio, which is distinguished from the others for being the only original bridge in Rome. Explore the Tibet Island with your guide and see the district of Trastevere, connected to the island by the Ponte Cestio.
From the island, you will reach an ancient church hiding the remains of three very ancient temples. Once thought to be the prison that held St. Peter captive, it was later discovered that these were the cells that St. Nicholas was confined in.
The Church of San Nicola in Carcere will astound you with its air of eerie beauty. You will be guided through the ruins, unique in that they are Republican-era temples, and hence probably one amongst Rome’s most ancient structures. Descend underground and walk the spaces between the three temples, traversed by Romans for centuries.
The foundations of this underground structure withstood the devastation of the centuries, wars, and destruction; and stands witness to the strength of Roman architecture. Get a chance to explore the inside of the church with columns that preserve engravings and bells from centuries past!
Departures: Wednesday-Friday (10:30 AM)
- Skip the Line Access
- Guided Tour - English, Spanish, German and Italian
- Pick up and Drop off
- Food and Beverages
Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly. You must carry a printed copy of the voucher to the venue along with a valid photo ID.
- Meeting Point: In Tiberina Island