Underground Rome: The Hidden City - Walking Tour
- Explore the secrets of historic Rome buried beneath a bustling, modern city
- Accompany an archaeologist as you are taken on an in-depth exploration of Rome's underground, including crypts, and buried temples
- Discover ancient architecture beneath the streets of Rome
- Visit the Vicus Caprarius, a newly opened space showing Roman apartments under a modern cinema near the Trevi fountain
- Explore a subterranean area of San Nicola in Carcere
- Explore Crypta Balbi, a museum below a Renaissance palace
Much of ancient Rome is still being excavated today, at some points 10 meters below the modern city. On this three-hour Underground Rome Tour, you'll be joined by an expert archaeologist for an in-depth exploration of Rome's underground, including crypts, and buried temples.
Look at some of the newest, most exciting discoveries, while also piecing together an educational narrative about urban layering, the relationship between the modern city and its history, and the cutting edge of Roman archaeology.
Visit the subterranean levels of San Lorenzo in Lucina, a medieval church with remnants of its basilica buried in the crypt underneath. We will also see the remains of an ancient apartment complex.
Explore the Vicus Caprarius, a newly opened space showing Roman apartments under a modern cinema and explore a subterranean area of San Nicola in Carcere. We end with the Crypta Balbi, a museum that occupies the subterranean crypts of a Renaissance palace.
- Tour admission
- Tour guide
- Food & beverages
- Hotel transfers
Your voucher will be emailed to you within 20 minutes of purchase. Please display the same on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID.
Saint Lorenzo in Lucina, Via in Lucina, 16 A, Rome
- Please arrive at the venue 15-minutes prior to departure
- You will meet your docent in front of the church of San Lorenzo in Lucina in Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina. From the Spanish Steps and Spagna metro stop (on the Metro A red line) this is down at the end of Via Condotti, a few blocks left on Via del Corso. The piazza can be reached by buses 62, 63, 81, 85, 95, 119, 175, 492, 628 which all go down Via del Corso. Though you are prepaid for the walk, you are responsible for purchasing entrance tickets to the sites (approximately euro 15 total) when with your docent. You will be visiting a church during this visit: no shorts of any kind, for both kids and adults. For women, knees, shoulders, and upper arms must be covered. For men, no shorts or cut-off trousers/pants are allowed, and again, shoulders and upper arms must be covered. Best not to bring anything like large bags or purses, backpacks, umbrellas (especially those with hooks), and any sharp objects. If you are taking this walk in the summer months, you may consider bringing a light shawl to cover your shoulders while entering churches.
Other experiences similar to Underground Rome: The Hidden City - Walking Tour