Montserrat Monastery Guided Tour with Transportation
Experience the magic of the Montserrat Monastery, one of the true gems of Catalonia, on this guided tour from Barcelona. Soak in the tranquility of this mountain monastery after a day spent in the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Go on a guided tour of Montserrat and relax in the natural beauty of this tranquil location.
- After a morning spent in Barcelona, head to Montserrat in the afternoon for a leisurely tour to round out your day.
- Tour the monastery and basilica, see the Black Madonna and enjoy some free time to wander around this cozy mountain hideaway by yourself.
Spend the day seeing the sights in Barcelona, and step into a comfortable coach in the afternoon for a trip into a peaceful monastery in the mountains. Put the bustle of the city behind you as you climb the hills outside Barcelona and make your way to the ‘serrated mountain’, Montserrat. The coach is a brand-new, state-of-the-art low-emissions vehicle with panoramic windows, ensuring you won’t miss a single view on the trip. After a one-hour’s ride, you’ll find yourself in the rugged and majestic landscape of this Catalonian region, a treat for nature lovers of all ages. What’s more, since the tour leaves in the afternoon, you can avoid the morning crowds that throng every day to Montserrat.
Soak in the Serene Beauty of the Monastery
Your tour will take you through the 10-century-old Santa Maria de Montserrat Abbey, home to nearly eighty monks. Even today, it’s a Catalonian rite of passage to hike the mountain to watch the sunrise from the abbey. You will have a brief orientation with your guide upon your arrival, after which the guide will lead your group into the Gothic Basilica nestled in between the rock spires and sheer cliffs. Here you can see the famous Black Madonna, believed to be carved out of wood in Jerusalem in the late 12th Century. The Benedictine monks, purportedly, built the monastery around the statue because it was too heavy to be moved, thus turning this remote outpost into a pilgrimage spot.
Once you’re done with the tour, you can also enjoy the local culinary specialities, from herbal liquors to cheeses, cured meats, and honey, at the stalls set up by the local artisans to let visitors sample and purchase their wares. These delicacies will give you an authentic taste of the regional Catalan cuisine, nicely rounding off your trip before you return to Barcelona.
- Transport to and from Barcelona in an air-conditioned coach
- Expert English-speaking tour guide
- Visit to Montserrat monastery, Basilica, and Black Madonna
- 1 hour’s free time to roam on your own
- Food and Drinks
- Funicular, track, railway or cable car.
Know Before You Go
- This tour involves some walking so please wear comfortable shoes.
- Please dress a bit warmer for Montserrat, since it is colder than the city.
Timings and Availability
- This tour takes place on all days of the week except Sundays.
- The tour departs from Barcelona at 3:00 PM (3:15 PM April through November), and it lasts for approximately 4 hours, ending back in Barcelona.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the tour begins to avoid delays.
Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible by wheelchair.
Rules to be observed in the Sanctuary
The Basilica and Tabernacle of Our Lady:
- You may take photos inside the Basilica, provided you do so without flash and no services are being held.
- At the Throne of Our Lady, it is best not to take photos, as it slows down the queue and disturbs others.
- The Tabernacle of Our Lady is closed during services to make it easier for the faithful to take part and attain an ambience of silence and prayer.
The Holy Chapel and the Tabernacle:
- These are places of worship. Please do not enter unless it is for devoting a few minutes of prayer and meditation.
- All museum visitors must act properly and safely at all times and they must not disturb others, hinder the normal operation of the museum or damage the museum facilities. Children must be accompanied by an adult responsible for their behaviour.
- Visitors may not enter the museum with bags, packages, suitcases or backpacks larger than 40 x 30 cm.
- Photographs may be taken without flash in the museum galleries. Taking photographs is prohibited in the temporary exhibitions unless otherwise indicated. Tripods are not allowed.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel this experience up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
You will receive an email with your Montserrat Monastery Guided Tour with Transportation mobile voucher soon after purchase. Please display the same along with valid photo ID at the pickup point to gain entry.
Hotel Olivia Plaza, Plaça de Catalunya, 19, 08002 Barcelona. Look for Orange Umbrellas.
To reach the Hotel Olivia Plaza:
You can catch buses no. 55, N4, N8, or H16 to the Pl. Catalunya - Portal de l'Àngel bus stop.
The nearest metro station is Urquinaona on the L1 and L4 lines.
These tickets are valid only for the date booked during checkout.