Rome Underground: Stadium of Domitian with Audioguide
Visit the underground ruins of the Stadium of Domitian, the former site of the ancient Olympic Games, on an audioguided tour
- Find out what lies beneath the streets of Rome on this tour of the Stadium of Domitian
- Learn more about this site and ancient Roman sports from your audioguide, available in multiple languages
- Examine many artifacts from the days of the Roman Empire found during archaeological excavations
What to Expect
Discover what lies below the streets of central Rome on an audio-guided tour. Step through the doors of time with photographs, 3D reconstructions, videos and other such informative sources that will let you experience what it was like in the days of yore.
Descend 5 meters below street level to explore the former stadium, and see its travertine blocks, brickwork and the marble columns of the main entrances. Learn more about the development of the stadium, the ancient Olympics and other Roman sports, and how 30,000 spectators were seated at the arena. See artifacts from the days of the Roman Empire found during archaeological excavations, including fragments of sculptures and a torso made from Pentelic marble from the quarries of Penteli north of Athens.
The Stadium of Domitian, also known as the Circus Agonalis, seated approximately 30,000 spectators and was used mostly for athletic contests and fighting competitions. Sports competitions were very important among the ancient Romans, to the point that some of the winners had their tombs engraved with their names. One of the largest entertainment venues in Roman history, today the Stadium of Domitian lies beneath the modern metropolis
What other secrets lie buried under the streets? We may never know. However, a peek into a former Olympic stadium is an opportunity you shouldn't miss!
- Entrance to the underground archaeological site of the Stadium of Domitian
- Audioguide available in multiple languages
- Free wifi at the meeting point
Know Before You Go
- It is mandatory to wear a face mask at all times. Please bring your own
- Social distancing within the attraction is maintained - an interpersonal distance of over 1 meter
- Large gatherings are avoided
- Entry will be denied to guests with body temperatures of 37.5°C or higher
Timings and Availability
The stadium is open every day from 10 AM to 7 PM
The audioguide is available in Spanish, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Russian
Children aged 6-17 enjoy reduced prices. Infants aged 5 and below go free
This experience is wheelchair accessible
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel this experience up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
Please display the tickets on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID at the meeting point.
Piazza Navona, 25.
The closest bus stop is Rinascimento. You can catch bus nos. 30, 70 or 81 to this stop. The meeting point is a short walking distance from this stop.
This ticket is only valid for the date and time selected during checkout.