From Barcelona: Montserrat Afternoon Trip with Cogwheel Train Ride
Embark on a mystical pilgrimage to the base of the beautiful Montserrat mountain range via luxury coach and visit the gem that is hidden within it, which is the Royal Basilica of Montserrat by making an ascent of almost 4,000 feet on a cogwheel train!
- Immerse yourself in the spiritual atmosphere of the Montserrat mountain and enjoy some breathtaking views of the stunning Spanish vistas as you ascend the mountain during your 15 minute ride on the cog wheel train.
- Scaling the Montserrat mountain by the cog wheel train is what makes this experience as unique as it prides itself to be!
- Admire the beautiful Royal Basilica of Montserrat, which holds the carving of the Black Madonna and the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia enshrined in the structure.
- If the time of year is right, enjoy the performance by the children’s choir L’Escolania, which only adds to the exquisite experience of the Basilica.
Leave behind the hustle of the city of Barcelona as you head towards the serene beauty of spiritual Montserrat, the magical mountain range of Catalonia. You will start your trip in your comfortable coach from the meeting point to the foot of the mountain, at which point you will board a cogwheel train, ascending the mountain steadily until you hit a height of just a little over 4,000 ft, traversing the natural cement and sandstone rocks of the mountain and enjoying the majestic views as you go along before arriving at the Monastery.
Visit the Basilica of Montserrat, which houses the Virgin of Montserrat, who was the patron saint of Catalonia. The little monastery first gained fame and recognition when it started receiving pilgrims and visitors who spread the word of the miracles and wonders performed by the Virgin. Though the Monastery has modernized, it still caters to the needs of the pilgrims that stop here. You can also admire from a distance the famous 12th century Romanesque carving of the Verge Moreneta, better known as the Black Madonna. The treasures within the monastery are almost as breathtaking as the views from it.
You will then be given some free time to visit the audio- visual exhibition about the creation of Montserrat and its rich history, as well as getting to taste the typical liquors of the mountain, hand made at the monastery itself. Should the time of year be opportune, you may get to enjoy the beautiful performance by the Escolania of Montserrat, the children’s choir at the sanctuary.
- Air conditioned motor coach
- Bilingual guide
- Taste of 4 typical liquors handmade by the monks of the monastery
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”.
- Ride on the Montserrat Rack Railway, or Cog Wheel Train.
- Hotel pick up and drop off.
Know Before You Go
From the 23rd of March to the 31st of October, your tour shall commence at 3:00PM. From the 1st of November to the 31st of March, your tour shall commence at 3:15PM.
This tour begins from the Julia Travel Office, however, please check in 15 minutes before the respective times mentioned above. The duration of this tour is 4-5 hours approximately.
• Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
• Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
• Montserrat, being a mountain range, gets inclement weather depending on the season so you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold during certain times of the year.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly. You must carry a printed copy of the voucher to the meeting point, along with a valid photo ID.
Julia Travel Office - Carrer de Balmes, 5, 08007 Barcelona
The closest stations to Julia Travel are: Ronda Universitat - Balmes is 71 meters away
Ronda De La Universitat - Balmes is 115 meters away
Rda. Universitat - Pl. Catalunya is 115 meters away
Ronda Universitat, 21 is 162 meters away
You can get to at least one of the above stops by using the following: Metro: L1, L2, L3, L4
Train: R1, RG1
Bus: 42, 50, 55, C3/4, L94 Click [here](https://goo.gl/maps/trPwVPNojUG2) for a Google Maps location of the Office.
Julia Travel Office, Carrer de Balmes, 5, 08007 , Barcelona
- The cog wheel train is air conditioned.