Shakespeare's Globe Theatre Guided Tour
Perhaps one of the most famous theaters in all of United Kingdom, the Globe Theatre is home to William Shakespeare's playing company. Take a guided tour into a Shakespearean wonderland and learn about the Globe's amazing history. Explore a treasure-trove of literary information and an extensive exhibition dedicated to the life and work of the renowned playwright.
- An entire guided tour/exhibition dedicated to the genius playwright! This is one experience for all you literary/non-literary enthusiasts.
- The exhibition is stashed away under the Globe Theater, which was built by Shakespeare’s own playing company and features interactive displays and live demonstrations that are filled to the brim with trivia.
- See the Elizabethan costumes on display and find out more about the history of the Globe and of imaginative and experimental theater spaces.
- Hear the tales of the first Globe crossing the Thames, and a new one being constructed on Bankside.
- Stop by Bankside and experience what today’s working theater is like.
- Tour admission
- Professional Guide
- Multilingual Audio Guide
- Hotel Transfers
- Personal Expenses
Deze tickets kunnen niet geannuleerd of verschoven worden.
Learn about the history of The Globe Theatre
Closely tied to William Shakespeare's fortunes, here is where a majority of his most famous plays were staged. The story of the Globe maybe worthy of a Shakespearean play in its own right. The Globe Theatre is an open-air octagonal amphitheater lying on the south bank of the river Thames. The original theatre was built way back in 1599 before succumbing to an unfortunate fire incident in 1613 where the theatre literally burnt to the ground due to a spark ignited by a theatrical cannon.
In 1970, American actor and director Sam Wanamaker sought out a faithful reconstruction of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. After the unfortunate incident, few documents remained on the structure of the Globe, but that did not stop Wanamaker from rebuilding the theatre. Built using traditional materials, the circular structure is made up of twenty wooden bays, the walls made of lime plaster, and the roof thatched. Learn all this and more on the history of the Globe with an expert storyteller guiding your way through the theatre.
A Shakespearean World
During the second-half of the 16th century, William Shakespeare went on to write some of his greatest literary works, the likes of Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer's Night Dream, Othello, Hamlet, and many more. It is to this theatre that Shakespeare owes much of his success.
The guided tour includes access to the exhibition detailing Shakespeare's life in London and his vast accomplishments as an artist. With a range of interactive displays and live demonstrations, watch Shakespeare come to life! Also, find out about extravagant Elizabethan costumes, musical instruments, and how they were used.
No matter how old the venue gets, Globe Theatre is still one of the best places in London to enjoy a theatrical performance.
know before you go
Box Office -
Open daily from 10 AM - 6 PM
Globe Theatre Tours -
Guided tours are available daily. Tours depart every 30 minutes and last approximately 40 minutes.
Globe Theatre Tour Times -
November to February:
- 9.30 AM to 5.00 PM daily
March to October :
- Monday - 9.30 AM to 5.00 PM
- Tuesday to Saturday - 9.30am to 12.30pm
- Sunday - 9.30am to 11.30am
Tours are subject to availability. During high season we recommend arriving as early as possible for your tour. As they are a working theatre, tour times may vary. For more information and to check availability please call 020 7902 1568
Reduced Price Tickets
Children's tickets (aged between 5 and 15) can be bought at a discounted rate.
- There are no lifts or ramps inside the theatre, but it is possible to accommodate wheelchair users. Inform at the time of booking if a wheelchair is required.
- For visually impaired people, a copy of the brochure is available in large print and high contrast on request.
- For visitors with hearing loss, induction loops are installed in both the theaters.
- A cloakroom is available for visitors attending performances both in the Globe Theatre and the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse which is chargeable.
Food and Drinks
For all the pre-theatre meal goers, Swan Restaurant is open with lunch, dinner, and afternoon tea menus. The restaurant overlooks the Thames and St. Paul's.
The major local stations are - Blackfriars (10-minute walk), London Bridge (15-minute walk), Cannon Street (15-minute walk), and Waterloo (25-minute walk).
Local routes include: 45, 63, and 100 to Blackfriars Bridge. 15, 17 to Cannon Street. 11, 15, 17, 23 to Mansion House. 381, RV1 to Southwark Street.
- Blackfriars on the District and Circle Lines (10 minute walk)
- Mansion House on the District and Circle Lines (10 minute walk)
- London Bridge on the Northern and Jubilee Lines (15 minute walk)
- As this is a working theatre, tour timings may vary according to performances scheduled. Tours may sometimes take place during rehearsals giving you an exclusive outlook.
- A ticket is required for anyone aged three and over. Please note that any child or group disturbing a show or other visitors may be asked to leave or step out for a while.
- The guided tours for both Globe Theatre and Sam Wanamaker's Playhouse are in English. Free information sheets are available in French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese and Simplified Chinese, which can be picked up on the day of your visit
- No push chairs, baby carriers, or buggies are allowed in the theatre.
- Visitors are not allowed on the stage or backstage area during a tour.
- There is limited parking space around the theatre and is accessible on a first come first serve basis.
- You will receive your tickets via email shortly.
- Please display your mobile tickets with a valid photo ID at the ticket redemption point.
- If you have purchased reduced price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid Student IDs.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 10-15 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
Ticket Redemption Point
Please check your final voucher for the meeting point details and specific instructions.
These tickets are valid for the date chosen and can be redeemed anytime between the operating hours of the theater.