Vatican Museums & Pontifical Villas By Train
See the many stunning treasures held by the Vatican on this tour through the Papal seat of power. Explore the Vatican Museums and the Pontifical Villas with comfortable transport by train included.
- Visit the grand Vatican Museums and explore the Pigna Courtyard, Pius Clementino Museum, Chandelier’s Gallery, Tapestries Gallery, Raphael’s Rooms and much more!
- Revel in the sparkling waters and the lush green countryside of Castel Gandolfo and see for yourself why this place was chosen by emperors and popes as a summertime residence.
- Venture into the Pontifical Villas at Gandolfo and experience the beauty and the serenity of the Papal residence for yourself.
- Vatican Museums Ticket
- Pontifical Villas Gardens Ticket
- Apostolic Palace Ticket (optional)
- Lunch (optional)
Strict Cancellation Policy
These tickets cannot be cancelled, amended, or rescheduled.
Your tour begins with a visit to the Vatican Museums. Navigate your way through the vast collections of the Vatican museum, and visit the important galleries such as the Pius Clementino Museum, Chandelier’s Gallery, Tapestries Gallery, Raphael’s Rooms and much more! Learn more about the provenance of the amazing artworks that are held in these galleries, as well as the history from the era in which they were commissioned, giving you insight and knowledge into the Papacy. After this section of the tour, you will depart in an electric train from the train station of the Vatican City State to Castel Gandolfo.
Lying on the edge of Lake Albano, in the Alban Hills just south of Rome, Gandolfo is commonly known as the Pope’s city, housing the Pope’s summertime residence - The Apostolic Palace. This was the place the Pope escaped to when Vatican pressures built up. The palace dominates the town and is seated on a scenic spot overlooking the lake, with picturesque gardens built on the site of the ancient villas. Displaying a mixture of Medieval and Baroque architecture, the palace is a sight for sore eyes!
The Pontifical Villas of Castel Gandolfo
The Pontifical Villas are styled gardens of Italian wonder consisting of archaeological treasures and works of art. Enjoy a regenerating walk in the vast gardens of Villa Barberini, the private garden of the Pope himself. A close relationship with nature is ever-present across the decorations found in the gardens with cascades of flowers and subtle reflections on the passage of time. The Pontifical Villas extend over the remains of the famous Villa of Domitian, trying the past and present together beautifully. Equipped for cold and harsh weathers, rich in natural beauty, sumptuous buildings, monuments, and works of art, this was the villa that once housed emperor Domitian, a huge complex which was built on three terraces, with three courtyards, some water features which looked out on the Avenue of Nymphaea, a cryptoportico (covered passage), a theatre and a circus, all of which you will make out as you walk through the villas. Finally, at the end of the tour, you will return to Rome by train, with wonderful memories of the day spent in the bosom of the Vatican.
Ideal for art and history lovers, this tour will give you a glimpse into the vast cultural wealth possessed by the Papacy.
Know Before You Go
- The Castel Gandolfo area includes some serious flights of steps, so, it is not recommended for wheelchair users and people with mobility problems
Tour Itinerary For Papal Villas & Vatican Museums by Train Tickets
8:00 AM: Avoid the queue at the entrance and enter the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel with an audio guide.
10:00 AM: Walking tour of the Vatican Gardens with an audio guide.
11:00 AM: Departure from Train Station of the Vatican City State, by electric train, to Castel Gandolfo (visitors have to reach on their own the main square of Castel Gandolfo - Piazza della Libertà)
1:30 PM: End of the tour.
Free time to wander around and do your own thing.
3:30 PM: Tour of the Gardens of the Pontifical Villas (Villa Barberini) by eco-friendly transport with an audio guide.
4:30 PM: End of the tour and exit from the Gardens of the Pontifical Villas.
5:10 PM: Meeting point at the train station of Castel Gandolfo.
5:24 PM: Departure from the Train Station of Castel Gandolfo to the Roma San Pietro Station.
Reduced Price Tickets
Entry is free for children aged 5 and below. Reduced price tickets are available for children between the ages of 6 - 18 and for students up to the age of 25. Families with a minimum of two children can get a family ticket.
No shorts or sleeveless shirts are permitted in the Apostolic Palace.
- Your mobile tickets will be sent to your email instantly.
- Please display your tickets along with a valid photo ID at the time of redemption.
- If you have purchased reduced-price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid Student IDs.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 20 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
- IMPORTANT: Please check your final ticket for meeting point details and specific instructions.