The Black Lava Tour
Experience the best of Icelandic countryside across the lava fields, the way Icelanders have done for centuries, on an Icelandic horse! Ride this majestic beast that is one of the oldest breeds in the world and ideal for beginners and experts too. Go on a tour of the scenic lava fields that offer interesting landscapes throughout the year.
- Meet the Icelandic horse and learn about what makes this breed unique
- Explore the stunning lava fields of Iceland that form scenic landscapes with the changing seasons
- Experience riding an Icelandic horse, perfect for first-timers as well
- Enjoy a day out to experience the best of natural Iceland
Across the vast landscapes of Iceland you will notice large herds of beautiful Icelandic horses. This unique breed of horses was brought to Iceland almost 1,000 years ago by Vikings from Norway. An integral part of the culture of Iceland, these horses are cherished by the locals. Today, these horses are bred for leisure and tourist activities, offering visitors a chance to experience the power of an Icelandic horse. On this tour you will begin your journey at the stables where a group of Icelandic horses has been raised as a herd. Smart and sturdy, this breed has not been exposed to the outside world. While export of these horses is allowed, they are not allowed back into Iceland! This has led to the evolution of a horse breed that is unique to Iceland.
You will saddle up and head out in to the beautiful landscape of Iceland. The black lava fields give way to pretty summer flowers and green shrubbery during the summers. In winters, the stark and bleak landscape offers an interesting imagery. The group is divided based on riding skills; the tour is suitable for amateurs and even first time riders. If you are a skilled rider, you can even experience the famous tolt gait that is unique to the Icelandic horse. This can be described as a fifth gear which allows for faster and smoother ride, which makes these horses ideal for long rides.
You will experience a unique connection between man and animal on this tour which has been unchanged for centuries. The tour will take you through the most scenic locations where you can appreciate the nature and wildlife of Iceland in its purest form.
- 1.5 hours of riding with an Icelandic horse
- Services of a trained guide adept with horses
- Riding gear including helmets, rubber boots and rainwear/warm outerwear
- Safety box for valuables and luggage
Know Before You Go
The tour lasts for about 1.5 – 2 hours.
The tour runs every day twice – 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM
English, Scandinavian, German (Depending on availability of guide)
- The tour will be easy, ideal for both experienced and amateur riders
- The minimum age for children riders is 8 years and need a written consent from parents to ride alone
- The maximum weight bearing capacity of the horse is 110 KG/240 LBS
- Riding gear like jackets/trousers/hats needs to be disinfected prior to bringing it into Iceland. Also, no used leather gear like riding gloves, saddles, whips etc can be brought into Iceland. This is due to veterinary requirements that prevent the spread of foreign diseases to local breeds.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel your tour booking 24 hours prior to departure for a full refund.
I loved being a part of this tour. Spending time with the horses was a great experience.
The tour was one of the highlighs of my Iceland trip. I love animals and spending time with the horses was the best I could have asked for.
I got tickets for the tour at a discount on HeadOut and picked them. The tour was marvellous. The horses were so well kept and groomed, it was a delight roaming with them. Good stuff.
How to use your tickets
You will receive an email voucher when you complete your booking and payment. You can simply show the voucher on your mobile at the pickup.
If you have chosen the tour without transfers then the meeting point for your tour will be – Ishestar Stables, Sörlaskeið 26, 220 Hafnafjörður
If you have chosen the tour with transfers then you will be picked up at your stay/accommodation.
Ishestar, Sörlaskeið 26 220, Hafnarfjordur, Hafnarfjörður