The Real Dracula Castle Tour with visit to Poenari Fortress and Targoviste
- This is your chance to discover the story behind the real Count Dracula, Vlad the Impaler.
- Your tour will be lead by a friendly, experienced guide who will answer all your burning questions.
- From Bucharest, head to Targoviste, and visit the Princely Court in the former capital of Walachia.
- Explore the majestic Curtea de Arges Cathedral, and learn about the legend that surrounds it.
- Visit Dracula's home, the Poenari Fortress - and take in the scenery of the Carpathian mountains.
- See the engineering jewel that is Vidraru Lake, built during the communist period.
- It is located next to the famous Transfagarasan Road, touted as the most beautiful road in the world.
- Your tour includes no more than 16 people and is ideal for a personal experience, while also making new friends.
- Expert English-speaking guide
- Transportation by air-conditioned van/minibus
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Lunch – there will be a stop for lunch and you can eat together or individually
- Entrance fees
super flexible cancellation policy
Get a full refund on canceling this ticket up to 24h before the schedule.
Romania's connection with Bram Stoker's Count Dracula is well known. The character was inspired by the former Wallachian prince - Vlad the Impaler, who is said to have killed 40,000 to 100,000 Europeans by impaling them. So, in keeping with the name of this tour, you will be visiting the places that have a connection with the "real" Dracula, Vlad the Impaler.
Your first stop is at Targoviste, the former capital of Wallachia. This was where Vlad Tepes – Vlad the Impaler used to rule from. Tour the 14th-century ruins of the Princely Court - whose compound was once surrounded by stone walls and a moat, and visit the Chindia Tower, now an emblem of the city. Continue onwards to Curtea de Arges. The cathedral here is said to be one of the most beautiful monasteries in South Romania and a striking example of Byzantine architecture. Beyond the remarkable architectural style, the Curtea de Arges cathedral boasts of an intriguing legend about a builder who had to sacrifice someone dear to him in order to finish the monastery.
The highlight of your trip will be the Poenari Fortress. This was the home of Vlad the Impaler and is quite an extraordinary place because you can only get here after climbing 1,480 concrete steps. Once you reach the top, breathtaking scenery of the Carpathian Mountains and a glimpse of the popular Transfagasaran Road awaits you. Your guide will tell you all about the tumultuous story of Vlad the Impaler, one of the most impressive figures in history. Before you head back to Bucharest, there will be a stop at Vidraru Lake, an important construction from the communist period. It is located right next to the famous Transfagarasan Road, named by Top Gear as “the most beautiful road in the world."
know before you go
- This tour involves a lot of walking. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes to cover long distances.
- This tour is not suitable for families with children aged less than 7 years.
Curtea de Arges
Children aged 7-11yrs enjoy reduced ticket pricing (carry a valid photo ID).
- Your voucher will be emailed to you instantly.
- Please display your mobile voucher along with a valid photo ID to your guide.
- If you have purchased reduced-price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 15 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
- Meet your guide in front of the Romanian Athenaeum just in front of the little garden (1-3 Franklin St., Sector 1, Bucharest), next to Athenee Palace Hilton Hotel.
Get Directions to the Meeting Point
- Catch bus #126 or 368 to Luterana bus stop.
This ticket is valid for the date and time selected during checkout.