Skydiving is perhaps one of the most bucket-listed activities. Don't you think? The thrill of jumping off a plane and plummeting towards the earth with terrific views that somehow dissolve your fears is an adrenaline rush that can't be put into words. Skydiving was first successfully performed over 200 years ago in Paris and ever since, it has made its way to every other popular tourist destinations of the world. Skydiving in Melbourne is an insanely popular activity. Before you make this 15,000 feet plunge in Melbourne, here's all you need to know about Skydiving in Melbourne - the best locations, prices, tips and more.
PS: Headout is an official reseller of Skydive Australia experiences. Earn additional cashback and discounts on your Skydive Melbourne tickets, exclusive to Headout.
Skydiving in Melbourne
The land down under is one of the most popular countries among tourists. Apart from a great amalgamation of various cultures, Australia is amply blessed with natural beauty. This beauty is heightened a thousand times over in the capital city of Victoria, Melbourne. The sprawling shores along the Bass Strait and Port Phillip Bay appear even more beautiful from 15,000 feet in the air. Skydiving in Melbourne is performed by thousands of visitors every year, most of whom admit to it being the most memorable one minute of their lives. In Melbourne, you have the option to choose from three different locations to make this jump: Great Ocean Road, Yarra Valley, and St. Kilda. Read on to find out more about these places.
Melbourne Skydive Locations & Prices
Like we mentioned above, there are 3 Skydive locations near Melbourne. With a 30-20 ASD difference between the 3, choose your pick depending on the location that piques an interest in you.
St. Kilda Skydiving
If you are considering a skydiving experience in Australia, St. Kilda should be your first choice. It is by far the most popular destination for skydivers in Australia and that is not without reason. The St. Kilda skydiving activity will provide you with a stunning view of the bay and the city of Melbourne from 15,000 feet in the air. It is recommended that you pay attention to the instructions so that you don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime experience.
Great Ocean Road Skydiving
The Great Ocean Road is reputed as one of the world’s most scenic roads to drive on. Skydiving at Great Ocean Road will let you see this road from the aerial perspective. Panoramic view of the Bells Beach and the ocean will encompass you as you descend from 12,000 or 15,000 feet. After your parachute opens, you will have a 7-minute ride back to base: an experience that you will never forget in your lifetime.
Yarra Valley Skydiving
The great state of Victoria also boasts of some of the most glorious wine regions in the country. A dive from the facility at Yarra Valley assures you a view of the picturesque wine country right under you and the Port Philip Bay in the distance. Depending on the wind speed, you can even fly your own canopy and enjoy one of Australia’s most scenic skydives.
Melbourne Skydive Experience
While Skydiving looks like an activity for the daredevils, it really is not! The view and adrenaline rush makes up for the pit in your stomach. If you are in two minds, read our comprehensive breakdown of your entire Melbourne Skydive experience:
- After you have made your booking, you will be allotted the time slot for the jump. Please reach the skydive center well in advance.
- You will be asked to glance through some paperwork and fill them.This will be followed by a basic health checkup. The results of the test will be used to make your dive comfortable and safe.
- You will then meet your skydiving support team that will help you with all the technical details you need to know. You can clarify any queries you may have.
- Once you have had a verbal session with the support team, you will be kitted up and harnessed.
- At this point, you will be taken to the specially modified aircraft, where you will meet your tandem jumpmaster. You will be performing the jump with your jumpmaster.
- Once your aircraft reaches the desired height, you and your jumpmaster will be attached together and exit the aircraft.
- After about 60 seconds of freefall, reaching a speed of up to 200 kmph, your canopy will be engaged.
- The canopy has an Automatic Activation Device which will engage your parachute automatically after reaching a preset altitude.
- You will glide back to base over the next 5 to 7 minutes, enjoying the mesmerizing views around you.
- After reaching the base, you can collect any photos or videos of this epic journey!
Choosing The Best Skydive Melbourne Experience
While all 3 locations, promise a fantastic experience, here's a quick table to help you make up your mind.
St Kilda Beach Tandem Freefall
Great Ocean Road Tandem Freefall
Yarra Valley Tandem Freefall
|About|| Soar through the air over Melbourne's business district, taking in panoramic views of the sparkling waves off Port Philip Bay.|
|Keep your eyes peeled for the best bird’s-eye, panoramic views of Torquay, Great Ocean Road and its beguiling beaches|
| Swoop through the Yarra Valley and feast your eyes on the best bird’s-eye views of Victoria, Mebourne, and its beautiful beaches.|
Daily : 8:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 12:00 PM
Daily : 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM
Sunday to Tuesday: 8:00 AM -11:30 AM, Saturday & Sunday : 8:00 AM-1:00 PM
|Why Choose This?|
Melbourne Skydive - Know Before You Go
Skydive Melbourne Age
The minimum age required for participating in Skydive Melbourne is 12 years.
- Participants between the age of 12 and 17 years of age must be accompanied by an adult, failing which, they will be barred from skydiving.
- Individuals weighing over 110 kgs cannot take part in Melbourne skydiving.
- Individuals weighing over 95 kgs will need to pay a surcharge for skydiving.
- Failing the basic medical checkup will mean that you cannot participate in the activity.
- Collared clothing, hiking boots and high heels are not allowed for this activity.
Safety Tips For Your Melbourne Skydive Experience
- Make sure your attire has no tear.
- Pay keen attention to the instruction during your briefing.
- Check the pieces of equipment and the harness properly for your own mental peace. Do not fiddle with them after you're kitted up.
- Follow your jumpmaster’s lead at all times.
What To Wear When You Go Skydiving In Melbourne?
Wear loose, casual clothing for this activity. A jumpsuit is advisable to protect yourself from the chilly wind at high altitude. Wear sneakers or running shoes. Goggles provide the eyes some extra protection during the free fall.
Pro Tips For Your Melbourne Skydiving Experience
- Do not overeat or starve before the activity. Give yourself enough nourishment to make this activity fun for yourself.
- Go ahead and ask to see your instructors license if you want to.
- Get enough rest before skydiving. It is normal to have a sleepless night before an exciting activity like this, but a good night’s sleep will help you enjoy the activity better.
- Understand that skydiving is dependant on the fickle nature of the weather. Better not go for the activity than free fall through 15,000 feet of haze.
- Know that if you are a female, you can request for a female jumpmaster.
- Keep your helmet on at all times. It is not to protect your head during the actual activity but to prevent injury from toppling after you land.
- Familiarize yourself with the signs used to communicate mid-air as the verbal medium will be rather useless during free fall.
- Do not hesitate to ask your jumpmaster to check your pieces of equipment before the jump.
- Take a few deep breaths and calm yourself down before the jump. Then, take that leap of faith!
Frequently Asked Questions About Skydiving in Melbourne
How long does the entire experience take?
Whilst the organisers try and complete your skydive within 3-4 hours, skydiving can be a full-day activity. Please allow for unforeseen delays due to events such as unfavourable weather and air traffic control.
Can I cancel my Skydive Melbourne Tickets once I book them?
Unfortunately, these tickets have a strict cancellation policy and cannot be cancelled, amended or rescheduled once booked.
What do I do if my jump is cancelled due to bad weather?
If we have to cancel your jump due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances, your booking will be re-scheduled to another date that suits you.
Are my tickets inclusive of Skydiving Insurance?
Unfortunately, no. Your tickets are not inclusive of an insurance policy but you can apply for one prior to your experience at your cost.
Is there any additional fee I have to pay on-site?
Yes. All jumpers will be registered online at Australian Parachute Federation prior to their skydive at the location itself and new members will be required to pay an AUD35 membership fee.