Take a trip back in time to Volendam, Holland’s most popular fishing village. Just 20 KM northeast of Amsterdam, Volendam is a quaint town on the shores of Lake Markermeer. Old Dutch fishing boats are anchored at the harbor which is lined with colorful wooden cottages. Today, Volendam has become a tourist destination which offers visitors a taste of Dutch countryside. You can dress up in traditional Dutch clothing, participate in the making of Dutch Wooden Clogs and Cheese, and learn history at the Volendam Museum. It is ideal for a day trip from Amsterdam, and you can combine it with other Dutch destinations like Marken, Zaanse Schans, and Monnickendam. Here is a guide on how to travel from Amsterdam to Volendam.
Traveling from Amsterdam to Volendam
The shortest way to travel from Amsterdam to Volendam is by car, covering about 20 KM
Average Time Taken
The average time to travel from Amsterdam to Volendam is about 30 minutes
Cheapest Way to travel from Amsterdam to Volendam
The cheapest way to travel from Amsterdam to Volendam is by public bus
Fastest way to travel from Amsterdam to Volendam
The fastest way to travel from Amsterdam to Volendam is by car and takes about 25 minutes
Most comfortable way to travel from Amsterdam to Volendam
The most comfortable way to travel from Amsterdam to Volendam by a guided tour as everything is organized and you just have to hop on and hop off between attractions.
Best Ways to Travel from Amsterdam to Volendam
From Amsterdam to Volendam by Bus
The journey from Amsterdam to Volendam by bus is quick and cheap. You can take the Bus Number 316 from Amsterdam Centraal and it will drop you at Volendam in approximately 30 Minutes.
The cost of a one-side bus ticket from Amsterdam to Volendam is € 4.69 and you can use the Amsterdam City Card to pay for your bus journey. The bus will drop you at the Volendam Centrum from where the Volendam Museum is just around the corner and the Volendam Harbor is a walk of 500m.
From Amsterdam to Volendam by Train
The nearest train stations to Volendam are Purmerend (14.5 KM) and Amsterdam Centraal (24 KM). There is no train station in the town of Volendam and thus there is no convenient way to reach from Amsterdam to Volendam by train.
From Amsterdam to Volendam by Car
Traveling from Amsterdam to Volendam by car is a quick and convenient option. The distance between Amsterdam and Volendam is about 20 KM and can be covered in around 30 minutes. Volendam is in North Holland, in the municipality of Edam-Volendam. You can plug in ‘Volendam’ in Google Maps/GPS or use these coordinates: 52° 29' 42.00" N, 5° 04' 14.99" E There are at least four free parking lots in Volendam, use them as there are parking restrictions throughout the town.
Free Parking Lots – Marina Park - Strandweg 1, 1131 PM Volendam - GPS: 52.49184, 5.06399
Art Historical Centre - Noordeinde 66, 1131 GD Volendam- GPS: 52.49880, 5.07898
Haven - Slobbeland 2A, 1131 AB Volendam - GPS: 52.49146, 5.07009
Volendam Museum - Zeestraat 41, 1131 ZD Volendam
From Amsterdam to Volendam by Boat
Volendam has a harbor and it offers regular ferries to the town of Marken. However, there is no direct boat transfer from Amsterdam to Volendam. You can go to Marken via Bus or Car; it is about 24.5 KM from Amsterdam Centraal. If you wish to travel by Bus you can take the 314 or 305 to Broek in Waterland and then shift to Bus number 315 to Marken. The entire journey from Amsterdam to Marken will take you about 45 minutes.
From Marken you can take a ferry to visit Volendam, the cost of ferry for an adult is Return (€ 11.50) and One way (€ 8.50).
Walking or Biking to Volendam
Amsterdam and its neighbouring areas are a haven for bicyclers. The region has dedicated bicycling lanes even on the highways, and one such road connects Amsterdam to Volendam.
The bicycle lane distance between Amsterdam and Volendam is about 25 KM and is ideal for a day trip out of the city. You can use the GPS or just follow the road signs. The bicycle lane traverses alongside the highway in most parts and takes diversions through picturesque villages in a few. You will cross several villages along the way including Monnickendam and Broek in Waterland.
Once you reach Volendam, you can park your bicycle near the harbor and walk around exploring the town.
Guided Tours From Amsterdam to Volendam
A guided tour is the most convenient way to get from Amsterdam to Volendam, ensuring you make the best of your time in Amsterdam.
- Seamless transportation – The locations across the Waterland region are easily accessed by road and not too far from each other. Instead of waiting for public transport you can hop on to the luxury coach and get places quickly, spending more time exploring the attractions.
- Cover multiple locations – The guided tours are designed to ensure you explore maximum attractions in the region. You can cover places like Zaanse Schaans, Edam, Volendam and Maarken all in one day without the strain of figuring out your itinerary or arranging transport!
- Authentic experiences – A tour will also offer unique experiences like cheese making and tasting, authentic dining, and visit to wooden clog workshop.
Volendam, Edam, and Windmills Tour
Escape the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam on a half-day guided tour of the Dutch countryside and visit the towns of Volendam, Edam, and Zaanse Schans. On this 6 hour day trip from Amsterdam, available in English, Spanish, and German enjoy the best of Netherlands in just a day!
Charm of Holland Tour
This full day and all-inclusive excursions takes you to the most authentic villages of Holland. This tour takes you to Marken, Volendam, Edam and the Zaanse Schans and includes a guided walk through the villages, a boat ride and a visit to a wooden shoe factory and a working windmill.
Is it possible to visit Volendam and the Zaanse Schans in one day?
Yes, you can combine both Volendam and Zaanse Schans on a day trip from Amsterdam. Both the towns are equidistant from Amsterdam being about 20 KM away by road, and form a triangle as Volendam and Zaanse Schans are about 24 KM from each other.
However, there is no direct public transport between Zaanse Schans and Volendam throughout the year, except for July and August (Bus Number 817). You would have to go back and forth from Amsterdam, wasting a lot of time and spending double the money. Instead, you can take a guided day tour from Amsterdam that will easily cover Volendam and Zaanse Schans, plus a few other towns like Edam, and Marken.
Best Time to Visit Volendam
The best time to Volendam is during the summer season from June to August, the temperatures are a pleasant 21 degrees and the sun is out. A lot of seasonal activities and attractions are open during this time making it an ideal time to visit. Being a tourist town, the true spirit of Volendam comes alive during this time, however the downside is the heavy tourist flow.
If you don’t like the tourist throngs then the next best time to visit is during spring in the months of March and April, this time is also good to combine with the tulip season in Amsterdam and gives you a chance to explore all the different regions of Holland.
Tips for Going from Amsterdam to Volendam
- The countryside is extremely windy and if you are cycling to Volendam you need to ensure you are wearing layers like a windcheater, which you can take off once you finish your ride.
- The centre of Volendam is pedestrian or cyclists only and you cannot park your car in any other spots except for the parking lots. Your vehicle will be towed away if you park in any other place.
- The best way to visit the village of Marken is by ferry as it gives you a chance to enjoy the panoramic views of the villages; however, if you are looking for a faster way to reach Marken then it is by road. The journey of 16 KM can be done by car or by taking a public bus number 610 which will take you about 20 minutes.
- All the attractions in Volendam open around 10 AM which is when most of the tourist buses start arriving in the town. If you wish to explore the city a bit more leisurely without the crowds, arrive an hour early to enjoy the town with almost no tourists.
- Don’t forget to stop at Edam, a small town about 3 KM away from Volendam. It is best known for its Edam cheese which is a hard cheese that is yellow inside but is coated with a red paraffin wax on the outside. If you're taking a guided tour from Amsterdam to Volendam, then Edam is almost always a part of the itinerary.