With more than a millennium of history dating back to Moorish times, the Alcazar of Seville has earned a claim to fame as the oldest royal residence in Europe still in use. Located in the heart of Seville, it is a UNESCO protected royal widely renowned as a beautiful example of Moorish architecture, especially for it’s outstanding examples of Mudéjar architecture. There's no leaving Seville without visiting the Alcazar, and since everyone thinks so, getting tickets to the Royal Alcazar of Seville is quite the task.
But, don't you worry! We have a couple of hacks that will get you last minute Alcazar Seville tickets. Read on to know how.
Real Alcazar of Seville, Reales Alcazares or Royal Alcazar of Seville?
First things first, getting the name right. The Alcazar of Seville goes by several names - Royal Alcazar of Seville which translates to Real Alcazar of Seville in Spanish and Reales Alcazares of Seville which again translates to Royal Palaces of Seville in Spanish. Sometimes, you may also hear it being referred to as the Alcazar Castle in Seville, but that one's definitely wrong as the Alcazar is Palace and not a Castle.
But I think what the locals call it makes the most sense - Reales Alcazares. This is because the Alcazar Seville constitutes a number of palaces built by different rulers over different times. However, the official website still calls it the Real Alcazar of Seville, but that's just maybe because that's the more popular lingo!
Types Of Alcazar Seville Tickets
Before looking at different ways to get Alcazar Seville tickets, know the 6 different types of tickets you have the option to purchase.
- General Admission Tickets - These are the most basic tickets (€ 12.5) which give you access to the ground floor of the palace complex and gardens. You don't have the skip the line option or guided tour on these tickets basic tickets, but they can be purchased online in advance. Should you want, you can purchase on audio guide on-ground to compliment these tickets.
- Royal Apartments Tickets - These tickets give you access to the furnished royal palace upper floor which may be added to the general admission. They cost €17 and you are assigned a slot as per availablity on the date of your convinience. Online reservations in advance are highly advisable. Note, most morning guided tours give you access to the Royal Apartments.
- Skip The Line Tickets - These fast track tickets allow you to skip the lines and avoid the queues that could take up to 1-2 hours and waltz in by just flashing your mobile tickets. They are economical, hassle free and simply the best! You also have the option to pair this up with an audio guide, should you like to learn some interesting commentary of the surroundings during your visit.
- Skip the Line Tickets With Guided Tour- This one's the real deal, my personal favourite. You are entrusted with a historian guide who will usher you in, away from the crowds and give you an impeccable tour of the Alcazar. Nothing beats having a tour guide in a place immersed in such history. Honestly, no audio guide, book or even google can do justice to the lores and facts this local historian guide can give you. Book Now >>
- The Combo Deal : Alcazar + Cathedral - Seville has 2 prime attractions - the Alcazar and the Cathedral of Seville. If you're planning to visit them both, why not grab a combo ticket and save a few euros? Also, you can do away with the hassle of buying two seperate tickets and have them bundled into one! Makes sense? Yes! Book Now >>
- A Night Tour : For the night owls, here's a tour that you'll love. Exploring the city of Seville at night is a sight that words often fail to evoke. However, note that you will not be allowed entry into the Alcazar, but you will be able to see the General Archive of the Indies, the Alcazar palace complex, and the Seville Cathedral on this night tour. PS: You get to visit Casa de la Guitarra and enjoy a traditional flamenco show! If you're in Seville for just an evening, this experience is your best bet. Book Now >>
Recommended Alcazar Seville Tickets
Different Ways To Get Alcazar Seville Tickets
Tickets for the Real Alcazar of Seville is easily available on their official website. While you do have to pay a €1 surcharge for the privilege of booking online, any euro that allows you to skip past the queues and head straight in, is a euro well spent in my books. Tickets on the website sell out months in advance, so make sure you grab them well before your day of visit.
Third Party Vendors
The best part about third party vendors like Headout is that you get to score a few discounts on your purchase as compared to the official website prices. Moreover, you have the option of buying combo deals, night tours and other deals that the website may not offer you.
The Guided Tours
To get the best of your Real Alcazar Seville experience, I would say go for a guided tour with no second thoughts! Having a local historian guide who relays the history, facts and lores of the Alcazar enhances your experience leaps and bounds. I know they are slightly costlier, but trust me, it is well worth your money. Moreover, these guided tours allow skip the line access and they are an absolute boon during peak hours/season
This is most definitely the easiest and cheapest way to get tickets as it involves no planning. You just have to turn up and stand in a queue to get your ticket. However, queues to buy tickets for the Alcazar Seville can be long, slow and very, very hot. Temperatures in Seville reach 40 degrees celsius during summers and by the time you get your tickets, you probably want to head home for a nap! However, if you do want to save the €1 fee charged on online bookings, this one's your best resort.
Best Alcazar Seville Tickets
Fast Track Access to Real Alcazar
Explore one of the oldest and most revered royal palaces in the world, the Real Alcázar, on this tour with an optional audio guide. Learn about the palace’s historical and cultural significance and also get a chance to see some of the shoot locations for Game of Thrones here!
Skip-the-Line Guided Tour of Alcazar
Skip the lines and get easy access to the Alcazar Palace in Seville. Pass by the Lion’s Gate, the Courtyard of Maidens, and the Hall of Ambassadors and admire the beautiful artworks depicting the Spanish conquest of the South American continent. Choose between an English, Spanish, French or Italian speaking guide for your tour.
Skip-the-Line Guided Tour of Alcazar (Free For Kids Below 8 Years)
Explore the royal palace of Alcazar with skip-the-line access and an official guide. Walk through the Lion’s Gate and take in breathtaking view of the gardens. Pass by the Courtyard of Maidens and make your way to the Hall of Ambassadors.Choose between a bilingual (English and Spanish) guide or a French guide for your tour.
Fast Track Guided Tour to Alcazar of Seville (24 Hour Cancellation Policy)
Don't miss out on an exciting opportunity to explore the Alcázar of Seville, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its historical and architectural significance. Skip the line at the entrance and enjoy learning about this fascinating area from a professional bilingual guide as you explore a monument that is both unusual and enlightening.
Alcazar and Seville Tour at Night
Explore the city of Seville at night and pass by 3 renowned UNESCO World Heritage Sites — the Alcazar Palace Complex, the Great Archive of the Indies, and the Seville Cathedral. End your night with a visit to the House of the Guitar (Casa de la Guitarra) and watch a flamenco show with live music.
Alcazar + Cathedral Guided Tour
Explore the royal palace of Alcazar, one of the oldest monuments in the city. Bask in the magnificent view of its lush green gardens and marvel at the beautiful artworks housed inside it.Make your way then to the Seville Cathedral, the largest Gothic church in the world. Your official guide will assist you in either English, Spanish, Italian, or French.
Alcázar, Seville Cathedral and La Giralda Guided Tour
Explore the Alcazar, the royal palace of the Spanish Christian rulers. Make your way to the Seville Cathedral, the largest Gothic church, and the La Giralda bell tower, which is housed inside it. Explore these 3 iconic monuments of Seville, accompanied by a bilingual guide (English and Spanish).
Super Combo : Cathedral & Alcazar of Seville
Explore Alcázar of Seville, a monument that represents the confluence of Arabic and Mediterranean cultures. Get a chance to see the magnificent Seville Cathedral, the third-largest church in the world.Learn about the history of these areas and how they came to be so celebrated from a professional bilingual guide who speaks both English and Spanish.
Alcazar Seville Hours
October to March: From Monday to Sunday, 09:30 to 17:00
April to September: From Monday to Sunday, 09:30 to 19:00
Closed on the 1st and 6th of January, Good Friday and the 25th of December
Free Mondays 16:00 to 17:00 (October-March) and 18:00 to 19:00 (April-September)
Good To Know Before You Go
- If you're purchasing tickets on the official website, make sure you use a Mastercard and not a Visa Card. Many people have faced difficulties in their payment going through with a Visa Card. Headout does accept all cards, hence go ahead and purhcase from Headout if you have a Visa card. You'll face no issues.
- Admission is free on Monday during the final hour of the day. However, I'd recommend buying online tickets (€1) for this time too, as on busy days, i.e. almost all Mondays, visitors queuing without tickets may not gain admission. This is because on Mondays, the number of visitors allowed into the palace complex remains limited to keep the crowds in check. Spend the €1 and you'll have an assured entry on the free Monday.
- The Royal Apartments (Cuarto Real Alto) constitute the 15 rooms on the upper floor of the palace that required an additional ticket and is open for visit only until 13:30 daily. You can purchase the Royal Apartment tickets while booking your general admission tickets or make a reservation at the dedicated desk as soon as you enter the complex. Note, admission to the royal apartments is strictly by time slot reservations and the time printed on your tickets are for entering the Royal Apartments, not the Alcazar complex.
- The best times to visit the Real Alcazar Palace, like most top tourist sites in Europe is first thing in the morning (9:30 AM) or towards the end of the day. Avoid weekends and holidays as much as you can. The Alcazar is noted to be busiest from just before 11:00 to mid-afternoon, so avoid these times too.
- You have limited food options inside the complex. The cafeteria in the garden serves basic snacks and drinks and is the only café in the complex.
- Toilets are available off the Patio de la Monteria before entering the main Mudejar palace. It's close to the café, at the far end of the garden.
- Parking at the Real Alcazar can be tight. It's best that you leave your car in one of the parking lots in the city centre and walk from there.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do if the tickets are sold out?
If the tickets you want are sold out, your best bet is buying a guided tour ticket. They are almost always available, especially last minute. The combo tours with the Alcazar and Cathedral visit are also available last minute.
Is the Alcazar Seville Guided Tour recommended?
Definitely! Nothing beats an expert guide taking you through the rooms and passages of Alcazar, narrating the stories and lores that the walls of the palace have sealed for centuries. No audio-guide or book can do justice to this experience, and who would you ask questions if you want to know something more about the Moorish clan? A guided tour is recommended all the way!
Can I visit only the Gardens of Alcazar?
Unfortunately, no. There is no ticket that covers only the gardens. You will have to purchase the General Ticket which includes both, the palaces and the gardens.
Can I visit only the Royal Apartments of Alcazar?
Unfortunately, no. There is no ticket that covers only the Royal apartments. You will have to purchase the General Ticket along with the Royal Apartments to gain entry.
What is the cancellation policy for Alcazar Seville Tickets?
Depending on the ticket, the cancellation policy varies. If you're looking for a flexible cancellation policy ticket, you can buy the Fast Track Guided Tour to Alcazar of Seville that allows you to cancel 24 hours in advance for a full refund or the Alcázar, Seville Cathedral and La Giralda Guided Tour which again allows for a full refund 24 hours in advance. If your plans are not concrete, you can opt for these tickets. Note, the cheaper tickets can have a stricter cancellation policy and the ones bought off the website cannot be cancelled.
Is there a way to see the Real Alcazar for free?
The Real Alcazar of Seville can be viewed for free on Mondays. Again, it’s best you pre-book your ticket for 1 Euro even for those free days so that you can skip the lines. If you are under 16 years of age, born in Seville or a citizen of Seville you can visit the Alcazar for free every day of the year. Note, only the general admission tickets are free and not guided tours.
What is the best time to visit the Real Alcazar of Seville?
As with most tourist attractions in Europe, it’s best to avoid visiting on weekends, especially during summers and holiday seasons. It's best to make it during a weekday in a shoulder season such as spring or autumn. It also helps if you pick a time slot which is very early in the morning or later in the afternoon.
Is there a baggage check at the entrance?
Yes. There are baggage checks, but they are not airport style. If you have a big backpack, you'll have to lock it away in a locker for EUR 1.
Are there any limitations on Photography?
Photography is not an issue unless you want to take commercial pictures or use a tripod, which is not allowed inside. Drones are prohibited as well.
How much time should I keep aside for a sedate visit?
I'd recommend keeping aside 3 hours for a leisure visit of Alcazar.
Is the Alcazar Seville a child-friendly attraction? Are there reduced prices?
Yes, of course. Kids will definitely enjoy the gardens of Generalife and though they may not appreciate the architecture, they will have a good time. That said, you can’t bring a stroller/buggy into the Nasrid Palace or Generalife.You can deposit the strollers while you’re visiting this part of the complex and take it back from the rest. However, baby carriers are allowed in all parts of the complex.
Children from 3 to 11 years have reduced ticket prices and kids below the age of 3 have free entry.
Recommended Alcazar Seville Tickets
Ready to Visit Seville?
Here are some detailed blogs that will help you plan your Seville vacation better.