Apostolic Palace of Castel Gandolfo & Pontifical Villas Gardens
Visit the Apostolic Palace, also known as the Papal Palace of the sleepy town of Castel Gandolfo. With the help of an audio-guide, understand the holy significance of the summer residence of the Pope and take a stroll in the lush Villa Barberini Gardens to be in harmony with nature.
- Visit the Apostolic Palace of Castel Gandolfo, the exclusive residence of the Pope, for centuries prior.
- Venture out into the lush gardens of Villa Barberini while listening to your audio-guide narrate tales of ancient treasures.
- Enjoy the sparkling waters and the lush green countryside of Castel Gandolfo and see for yourself why this place was chosen by emperors and popes as a summertime residence.
- Revel in the conspicuous remains of one of the most famous villas of antiquity - The Villa of Domitian, which was once the magnificent country residence of the Emperor Domitian.
- Multilingual Audio Guide (Italian, English, French, Spanish, German, Russian)
- Access to Apostolic Palace of Castel Gandolfo and Villa Barberini Gardens ( depending on the ticket variant chosen)
- Booking and Handling Fees
strict cancellation policy
These tickets cannot be cancelled, amended, or rescheduled.
Explore the summer residence of the Pope
Head to Castel Gandolfo. Lying on the edge of Lake Albano, in the Alban Hills just south of Rome, this place is commonly known as the Pope’s city, housing the Pope’s summertime residence - The Apostolic Palace. This was the place the Pope escaped to when Vatican pressures built up. The palace dominates the town and is seated on a scenic spot overlooking the lake, with picturesque gardens built on the site of the ancient villas. Displaying a mixture of Medieval and Baroque architecture, the palace is a sight for sore eyes! Meanwhile, enjoy a multilingual audio-guide that will narrate a 500-year history of various popes. Drown yourself in history as you experience a holy detour.
The Papal Villas of Castel Gandolfo
The Papal Villas are styled gardens of Italian wonder consisting of archaeological treasures and works of art. Enjoy a regenerating walk in the vast gardens of Villa Barberini. This was the private garden of the Pope himself. A close relationship with nature is ever-present across the decorations found in the gardens with cascades of flowers and reflections on the passage of time. The Papal Villas extend over the remains of the famous Villa of Domitian. Equipped for cold and harsh weathers, rich in natural beauty, sumptuous buildings, monuments, and works of art, this was the villa that once housed emperor Domitian. The villa was once a huge complex which was built on three terraces, with three courtyards, some water features which looked out on the Avenue of Nymphaea, a cryptoportico (covered passage), a theatre and a circus.
Apostolic Palace Ticket with Audio Guide:
The ticket includes the admission and the visit to the Apostolic Palace with an audioguide (available languages: Italian, English, Spanish, German, French, Russian).
Apostolic Palace & Barberini Gardens Ticket with Audio Guide:
This includes entry to the Apostolic Palace and the Villa Barberini Gardens.
Pontifical Villas Gardens Ticket :
This ticket includes entry to the Pontifical Villas Gardens.
know before you go
- The Castel Gandolfo tour includes some serious flights of steps, so, it is not recommended for wheelchair users and people with mobility problems
- Duration of the visit to the Apostolic Palace is 60 minutes.
- Duration of the visit to the Pontifical Villas Gardens of Castel Gandolfo is 60 minutes.
Only the Apostolic Palace is wheelchair accessible.
Reduced Price Tickets
Entry is free for children aged 5 and below. Reduced price tickets are available for children between the ages of 6 - 18 and for students up to the age of 25. Families with a minimum of two children can get a family ticket.
No shorts or sleeveless shirts are permitted in the Apostolic Palace.
To Castel Gandolfo
Metro: LINEA A
- Your mobile tickets will be sent to your email instantly.
- Please display your tickets along with a valid photo ID at the time of redemption.
- If you have purchased reduced price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid Student IDs.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 20 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
- IMPORTANT: Please check your final ticket for meeting point details and specific instructions.